All our employment opportunities will be posted below
Down Syndrome Association of Peterborough is an equal opportunity employer committed to developing a staff team that reflects the community in which we work, and the people we serve. Down Syndrome Association of Peterborough is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. This document is available in alternate format(s) upon request.
Position: Executive Director – Permanent
Competition #: 01-2022
Hours of Work: Full-time – 35 hours per week
Start Date: To be negotiated with successful candidate
Location: Peterborough, with area travel
Posting Date: November 15, 2022
Down Syndrome Association of Peterborough (DSP) is a non-profit association
Mission: Support and enrich the lives of individuals with Down syndrome, and their caregivers, so that they will reach their fullest potential.
Objectives: Assure parents that there are families in similar circumstances who can provide support, to promote awareness for people with Down syndrome on the part of educators, medical professionals, and the community, to provide encouragement and support for people with Down syndrome so they will participate in all aspects of community life, and to advocate for acceptance and opportunities for persons with Down syndrome in the community.
DSP wishes to recruit an innovative, inspiring, and strategic leader who exemplifies the organization’s core values and possesses a clear vision for executing its strategic plan with nimbleness and creativity. With strong political acuity and outstanding community relations abilities, the Executive Director (ED) will communicate and translate DSP’s vision into actionable outcomes, leveraging relationships and alliances with a wide variety of key internal and external stakeholders, funders, and community partners.
As a leader, the ED will champion and model collaboration, accountability, inclusion, and equity in all they do. Paired with an understanding of the challenges facing the community of Peterborough and its surrounding area and how to navigate them from an organization and sector perspective, the ED will be passionate about achieving DSP’s mission.
Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the ED is responsible to:
- Lead and support the development of an engaged staff team
- Oversee the administration, day-to-day operation of programs and the strategic plan, as well as implementing strategies to ensure the timely progression and achievement of both short and long-term strategic goals
- Active participation in fundraising, advocacy work, program development and administration, encouraging optimal use of organization finances and resources
- Work closely with DSP’s key stakeholders and community partners, the ED will focus on creating improved support services within Peterborough and its surrounding regions.
- Preferred candidate will have a minimum 2 year post secondary diploma or equivalent in Community Development / Social Services
- 5 years of organizational management experience within the human services sector
- Experience with developing and leading fundraising initiatives, including meeting established annual fundraising targets
- Experience managing conflict and de-escalating violate situations
- Proven management skills normally acquired through several years of supervisory experience of programs and staff
- Experience interpreting, managing, and forecasting budgets
- Intermediate-level proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, and database software applications
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently under pressure with speed and accuracy, to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to relate effectively to staff and clients from a broad range of socioeconomic backgrounds
- Valid driver’s license and be insurable
- Police and vulnerable sector check required
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination required
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants will be required to complete testing as part of the interview process.
Deadline for Application Submission is 5:00pm, November 29, 2022. Only applications received by the deadline will be considered.
Please direct your application to the Board Chair,
Peterborough Down Syndrome Association
300 Sunset Blvd, Peterborough, Ontario K9H-5L3
Down Syndrome Association of Peterborough is an equal opportunity employer committed to developing a staff team that reflects the community in which we work, and the people we serve. Down Syndrome Association of Peterborough is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will work with applicants requesting